God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as He chose. 1 Corinthians 12:18
Church membership is important. Jonathan Leeman defines church membership this way: "Church membership is a formal relationship between a church and a Christian, characterized by the church’s affirmation and oversight of a Christian’s discipleship and the Christian’s submission to living out his or her discipleship in the care of the church." We believe there are three reasons membership is important:
- It is practical. It is important to know who you can count on and who you are responsible for caring for spiritually.
- It is beneficial. There are benefits both to the member and to the church, because you serve the church and the church serves you. The church provides a structured outlet for community, accountability, discipleship, etc.
- It is biblical. Church membership is God’s idea. 1 Corinthians 12:18 says that God has placed the members in the body, each one as He chose. We believe that we should commit to a body of believers as a matter of obedience to God’s Word.
How do I join Taylor Memorial Baptist Church?
You can come forward during the time of response after the Sunday morning sermon, and let a pastor know about your decision to join. You may also fill out a membership class registration form here.
- Baptism. Upon a profession of faith in Christ, you can join the church by following the Lord in believer’s baptism.
- Statement of faith. If you have made a profession of faith in Christ and have already followed the Lord in believer’s baptism but have not yet joined a church, you can join by “statement of faith.” By joining this way, you are stating that you are of like faith and practice and you want to commit to this body of believers.
- Transfer of letter. If you have made a profession of faith, have been baptized, and are a member of another church of like faith and practice (Baptistic), you can join by “transfer of letter.” We will contact your former church and request that they transfer your membership to Taylor Memorial. If you are joining TMBC this way, we want to encourage you to make sure that you are leaving your former church for the right reasons. Sometimes when you move to a new location, transferring membership is necessary. Other times, when there is a theological difference, transferring is necessary. Leaving your former church because of differences in personal preference is not a good reason to leave. We want to welcome you as a member of our church, but our higher priority is making sure that you are in the church where God wants you and you are being faithful there.
Whether you join by baptism, statement of faith, or transfer of letter, our goal is to make sure that you get fully connected to the life of our church.
Membership@Taylor is two consecutive classes scheduled in February, June, and September on Wednesday evenings. You may register for the next Membership event by clicking here Someone from our staff will contact you upon registration.
Click here to access the new member page for a description of what to expect in the class.